Pin It!

Pregnancy Diet & Nutrition Tips

Pregnancy Diet doesn't really exist because you really shouldn't "diet" when you are pregnant, but you should have a healthy nutrition.  The sad thing, is that women use this time to over indulge and eat whatever they want, in the portions they want with the excuse that they are eating for 2!

Excuse my FRENCH but that is a crock of you know what!

If you would just change your mind set and try to create the most precious, healthy, and optimal environment in your body for your little angel to grow and live in, it would be a whole other story.  So if you are not there yet my friend, I challenge you to work on your mind set.

Think of eating as healthy as you can so that your baby can develop under the best possible circumstances.  Trust me, this makes it a ton easier to eat healthy.  

In my pregnancy, I gained 20lbs and felt like a million bucks.  Yup, believe it or not, I loved being pregnant.  But I think the reason why was because I was healthy, I wasn't logging around excess weight that gave me aches and pains and made me feel horrible about myself.  Actually it was quite the contrary, because I ate so healthy and exercised, I never felt any pains and always had tons of energy.

So I want to share a few things that worked for me as well as the tons of Pregnant women that I work with.  Also, check out these pregnancy fitness tips that I shared on the News:  Pregnancy Fitness Tips In The News

 

 

Pregnancy Diet & Nutrition Tips

  • Plan out a healthy menu for the week and COMMIT to it.
  • Make sure that in your weekly menu you have a variety of different healthy foods in order to give all the nutrients to your baby.
  • Make sure that you choose yummy foods so that you enjoy what you eat, because if not, you will end up bingeing. Take some time to look through recipe books, magazines, online and choose yummy healthy recipes and meals so that you enjoy eating healthy.  I have a great healthy recipe book called Eat To Be Fit, it has tons of yummy, easy and delicious healthy recipes, you may want to give it a try.
  • At the beginning of the week, make or buy a bunch of healthy snacks and have them readily available.  
  • Every time you leave your house, whether its for 5 minutes or 4 hours, take a bunch of healthy snacks with you in your bag.  This will prevent you from feeling sick and also prevent bad cravings.
  • Make sure to eat something every 2-3 hours.
  • Don't over indulge.  Feel yourself out, when you are full, stop eating.  Just listen to your body and don't worry about calories.
  • Take a good prenatal vitamin.
  • Drink a TON OF WATER.

Here is an idea of a great Pregnancy Nutrition Snack.  Its easy to make, super yummy  and great to carry around in your purse when you are on the go.

Also, make sure you are exercising.  It will help you prevent EXCESS WEIGHT GAIN, it will INCREASE YOUR ENERGY, DECREASE ACHES AND PAINS and help you enjoy your pregnancy so much more.  it will also help you during labor and delivery.  Who doesn't want that.   These are the workouts that I did when pregnant and I have used them with hundreds of pregnant women:   Fit-To-Be Mom Workouts.  These Pregnancy Workouts change every month to help you stay fit and healthy.  This is a great way to ensure you are doing SAFE and appropriate workouts.  Check them out here:  Fit Mom-To-Be Workouts.

 Check out this great way to relieve pain when you are pregnant:

You can get all my exercise and nutrition tips, articles, workouts and recipes for pregnancy on My Pinterest Boards.  I have one for Pregnancy Nutrition & Recipes and one for Pregnancy Exercise & Workouts

 

30 comments (Add your own)

1. Michelle wrote:

Sun, July 29, 2012 @ 1:07 PM

2. Jaime wrote:
I'm glad for you that you were able to have such a great pregnancy and only gain 20lbs, but the truth is that no 2 women's bodies and pregnancies are alike. There is no magic formula, diet, or exercise routine that will guarantee a comfortable pregnancy with low weight gain. I have been through 4 pregnancies and have drastically changedy diet since my first one, eating extremely healthily nowadays. And, you know what, I still gained about 50 lbs, and no, I don't over eat. In fact, after each pregnancy I lost every single pound (sometimes more), but pregnancy hormones just pack it on me. Like I said, it's great for you that you didn't gain much, but don't assume that those of us who do are eating too much, eating the wrong things, and aren't exercising. Everyone's chemical makeup is different, and every body reacts differently to pregnancy. The healthiest habits in the world can still result in a greater weight gain during pregnancy.

Thu, August 16, 2012 @ 1:06 AM

3. Mandy wrote:
Wow I'm glad you felt so great in your pregnancy.............too bad were all different!!! I was very active before my first pregnancy of average weight (140lbs) and overall healthy. I only gained 18lbs in my pregnancy. I ate well and exercised but still felt terrible. I got gestational diabetes and had to inject insulin twice a day by the end, even though I was following a strict diet and seeing a dietitian/nutritionist regularly. I had a ton of back & leg pain no matter how I changed up my routine. I got carpel tunnel in both hands/arms which had me awake every 2 hours through the night and wearing arm braces full time. Then they found spots on my liver that led my doctors to believe I could have a rare form of pregnancy cancer (which I did not after being induced and having a 27hr labour being rushed for an MRI and not being able to nurse for 24hrs..........whole other battle getting my milk supply back). When I delivered my daughter I had a disc in my back herniate and when she was 1 year old I had back surgery. In the end it was still all worth it, as i have a beautiful little girl that I wouldn't trade for the world!!! I am now pregnant with #2 and at only 19weeks and 8lbs gained I'm already suffering back, hip & leg pain.
Regardless of the above I hope you are aware you are one of the lucky ones. Good for you for embracing your fortune of little weight gain and no pain but please don't assume that following "your" techniques will work for everyone or judge based upon your experience alone............I WISH IT WAS THAT SIMPLE!!!!

Fri, September 14, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

4. Courtney wrote:
I'm glad you had a wonderful pregnancy. I loved being pregnant, had the normal aches and pains and wasn't super uncomfortable until 34 weeks. I am barely 5'3" and gave birth to an 8lbs4oz baby girl. I gained between 35 and 40 pounds. I didn't feel awful and absolutely loved being pregnant. Low blood pressure and no other problems to account for. Encouraging women to eat healthy and keep active is great but it won't guarantee no aches and pains or low weight gain. There is nothing to prevent stretch marks either! Sorry, ladies. Genetics gets us yet again.

Wed, September 19, 2012 @ 12:47 PM

5. Carrie wrote:
I too am glad that you had a wonderful pregnancy. I too have very healthy pregnancies and gain around 30 pounds, but I have been sick sick sick with all three of my pregnancies!! Exercise is never an option for me during pregnancy because I am not able to keep food down well or liquids down. These are great tips for women that feel good in pregnancy and don't suffer from sickness or have other complications beyond the individuals control. My only suggestion for you is to not generalize and say that this will make all women have a great pregnancy. We are all different and all of our bodies react differently to pregnancy hormones.

Fri, September 28, 2012 @ 3:06 PM

6. Jordy wrote:
THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!! I am working on baby number 2 and your tips are so inpiring and wonderful!

Mon, October 1, 2012 @ 5:00 PM

7. Baby on the way! wrote:
I for one am very happy I found this link. I am a little disappointed in the comments made by others. The main thing this woman is trying to do is give TIPS on how to have a smooth and healthy pregnancy. She is NOT saying that all pregnant woman should do all of these things and they WILL sail through their pregnancy. We all should be smart enough to know that no woman is the same. I am pretty sure this woman knows and understands that. We all have had our ups and downs in our pregnancy, wouldn't you love to be able to give some suggestions to others to at least try to help them? Who knows, some of these suggestions may help. I am definitely going to take up some of her tips. Always look for things that will better your self, your children, and others. As always, check with your doctor before changing your "diet" and exercise routine. Most of all, enjoy your pregnancy!
Great link!

Sat, October 13, 2012 @ 7:55 AM

8. MommaToBe wrote:
Totally agree with the above comment!! The woman who wrote this isn't JUDGING anyone or implying this plan works for everyone. She is just trying to help. I love her tips and I will happily pursue them in my pregnancy :)
Gosh some people are so negative.

Thu, October 18, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

9. Mary wrote:
Currently pregnant - first time! - and I have to say that some of these comments have me terrified. I will definitely be using the TIPS (not magical laws) in this article to hopefully avoid some of horrors others have faced. I have high hopes for a great pregnancy, as my sister had a very easy first pregnancy. Thanks for the article! It's nice to see a rare POSITIVE article on pregnancy!

Sun, October 21, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

10. Liz wrote:
Great article, Thank you! Hormones do not make you gain weight, calories do! If you are not eating excess calories then you will stay at a healthy weight. Good luck to all!

Tue, October 23, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

11. Holli wrote:
I love all of this information. This is what I did with my first pregnancy, she's now 11 months. I gained 40 lbs and lost 30 after she was born. I agree that it helps your child be healthy and strong. My daughter was 8 lbs 3 oz and hasn't had a single health issue! I am going to pin this so I can refer back to the workouts. I worked out my whole pregnancy, but needed more ideas of things to do. One thing my Dr told me, you are eating for two, but you only need an extra 300 calories. I ate my regular amount of food that I normally do and took one extra bite. You don't have to eat 2 full meals every time you eat. It bothers me when women do that.

Tue, October 23, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

12. Hannah wrote:
I'm currently pregnant with my third child, and it's been the worst. I was sick for about a week and had to get my doctor to prescribe medicine so that I could eat. my first pregnancy was easy, and so was my second even though the second one came 5 weeks early. I ate fairly well for each including this one. however every women's body is different, and our bodies are different at different ages. I was 22 when my son was born and I'm 25 now with my third child. the younger we are, the less weight we gain when pregnant, it will mostly all be the baby weight itself. if some women are having babies at 30 years or age or so, they may have to exercise differently then the 20 something's, but that doesn't mean they are doing things wrong. being pregnant is a great blessing and a great joy, but not all pregnancies are the same, and usually the first ones are easier than the following children after that, because our bodies have already been stretched. eating healthy and exec rising while pregnant is a good thing, but it's not the solution of children eating healthy or not either, that's strictly just our parenting skills., not from eating well while pregnant. babies don't taste the food when they are in the womb, their body only takes the nourishment needed for growth and health. but I am glad to see that you had a good preganacy.

Fri, October 26, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

13. Celeste wrote:
I have to agree. I am on my third child. I have two daughters, 12 and 15 and we got surprised by a bouncing little boy who will be making his appearance in about 2 weeks. With baby 1 I didnt gain ANY weight at all. She was a healthy 6#4oz. With baby 2 I gained 11# and she was 7# 9oz with this guy Ive gained 12# so far and he will probably be about 7# when they deliver him early due to me possibly having a tumor growth. I am in my mid 30s and just eat when I am hungry and try to eat whole foods, not processed junk, but if i want something specific I eat it however I don't over stuff myself. I definitely don't feel deprived but also am not gorging myself.

Sun, October 28, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

14. Celeste wrote:
Footnote: I do have a TON of lower back, hip and pelvic pain, especially in these last few weeks. Some of this is to just being older and I did have 2 epidurals back in the day.

Sun, October 28, 2012 @ 11:10 PM

15. Ashlie wrote:
The tone of this article is, in fact, judgmental. The author implies that if you simply DON'T EAT TOO MUCH and ACTUALLY EXERCISE then you will love being pregnant as much as she did! This is unhealthy and untrue. Hormones and chemical make up ARE the deciding factor in how your body responds to pregnancy overall.

It is completely true that you do not need to "eat for two" when you're pregnant, and I doubt that anyone could argue against the fact that healthy eating and safe exercise are great for yourself and your baby. Unfortunately, I didn't actually see any groundbreaking information in this article, just platitudes like "Eat healthy, bring snacks, commit to meals, EXERCISE!" It's not news to anyone that these are tips for good health, and the condescending tone of the article was just the icing on the cake.

Mon, October 29, 2012 @ 5:16 PM

16. Workin' On It wrote:
Glad to see comments finally making some sense on this thread. As several of you have stated, this posting is not to insist that healthy pregnant women only gain 20lbs. She's just trying to pass on her personal knowledge to those of us who might need it.

Lighten up, ladies! All that criticism must make you tired!

Sun, November 4, 2012 @ 11:52 AM

17. Stephanie wrote:
I have to say that I disagree that this article is judgmental. I think it's ALWAYS good to share tips on being healthy, pregnant or not. Y'all would be surprised at how little many people really know about staying healthy! That being said, I HAVE to comment on Liz above. No offense whatsoever intended, however, her statement is simply untrue. Increases in various weight-inducing hormones are released into our bodies the MOMENT we get pregnant. Does this mean that EVERY woman gains weight? Of course not, as all the lovely ladies about have pointed out we're all different. However, evolution has primed us to gain and maintain weight during pregnancy in order to account for famine or drought that might come about in harsh winters etc. back in the day when sabertooth tigers were our kittens LOL. Anyway, most women gain a little weight and many gain a good amount of weight. Caloric intake certainly can affect weight, but it by no means accounts for 100% or even 75% of possible weight gain.

Happy pregnancies ladies!

Mon, November 5, 2012 @ 1:20 PM

18. afowler15 wrote:
Just wanted to add that some women are on bed rest the majority of their pregnancies, others puke 5 times a day, I for one was sick for the entire 2 trimesters and my sciatic nerves were pinched which made me fall multiple times in pain and have to crawl around the house and go to a chiropractor 2 times a week just to be able to walk...

I understand yours was awesome but honestly i couldn't even read your whole article without getting the feeling you think its because of something you have done. All I have to say is if you would restate your wonderful pregnancy story with a little bit of sympathy that display that you aren't ignorant that all women don't have the same bodies or pregnancies and some have it much harder than others, I think people will want to continue reading and learn from you.

It just came across as if you are saying that, "my pregnancy and body were perfect because I exercised and ate healthy." Well if you had a horrible pregnancy like so many who have commented and myself and other friends who were in excellent shape before getting pregnant your blog would read much differently.

I just hope you understand how blessed you were and you can rephrase your comments so you don't make the rest of us who have had a hell of a time being pregnant feel like its our fault somehow.

Wed, November 14, 2012 @ 9:18 PM

19. Brandi wrote:
This is my 4th pregnancy and every single one has been different. Not sure why. I listen to the tips and do as I should. Some have been great and some not.

Tue, November 27, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

20. Natalie wrote:
Great article! Although I am not pregnant, when I was I continued my exercise routine with some changes as I got further along, kept my diet on point and continued running up until my 8th month. I, along with many woman had horrible all day sickness but i wasnt going tinlet that consume my pregnancy! It can be done!! I had a perfectly healthy baby girl and gained only 12 pounds. However, I was not a weight watchers freak. I ate when I was hungry and stopped when I was full and let nature take its course! Awesome article encouraging women not to drop the ball just because they get pregnant!!

Sun, December 30, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

21. Christina wrote:
I think some people don't understand people who have hard pregnancies. My first I gained 75 lbs! Felt terrible and hated it. Second one I gained 25lbs and it was honestly the worst 9 months of my entire life. 100 times worse than the first. I exercised through the first 8 months and ate well. I was horribly sick the entire time! My body hurt so bad and I still felt as big as a house. Post baby was much better than the first time but I just think some people have much easier pregnancies and CAN NOT relate to those who do not.
Sure taking care of yourself, exercising and eating right can certainly help but just because you do doesn't mean you are in for an easy ride. Believe me it is hard watching friends skate through easy pregnancies and look at you like it something you are doing to ensure a hard road for yourself.

Sun, January 6, 2013 @ 7:28 PM

22. Megan wrote:
While I do agree that exercise and not going overboard on eating are important issues during pregnancy, I do not think they are the magic solution to having an easy pregnancy. You were lucky to have an easy time, and yes, being fit probably contributed to that, but I think you're doing a disservice to pregnant women by suggesting if they would just eat healthy and exercise, they will sail through pregnancy. It's just not the case. By the way, NOTHING presented in this article is new--it's all common sense info that any doctor is likely to recommend. They just won't be audacious enough to suggest that if their patients follow these suggestions to a T, they will love being pregnant. I think this article is a total waste of time, and based on the other comments, the majority of those who have read it feel the same way. Maybe if you changed your tone or wording, you'd receive a more positive response from the people you are trying to help.

Thu, March 21, 2013 @ 7:17 AM

23. Hreeves wrote:
How are you supposed to plan and commit to a meal plan when you are plagued with morning sickness all day, everyday? Some days some foods sound tolerable while on others they make you sick? This may be practical advice for the 2nd trimester but not realistic for the first....

Wed, March 27, 2013 @ 5:54 PM

24. wrote:

Tue, April 30, 2013 @ 5:44 PM

25. lexie wrote:
I did find these tips cute and encouraging, almost like a pregnancy boot camp blog, but I did find the manner in which the information was given, condescending. as stated before multiple times every woman's body is different, and the way your body reacts to pregnancy can be just as different . also, just because you look great DOES NOT mean you will feel great. I am a young mom 20 years old 37 weeks pregnant, I only gained about 25 lbs and I did exersize and eat healthy. but I'm so stressed out with financial needs, my plans for the future, and over all pregnancy hormones this journey has been pretty agonizing and I do not like being pregnant. with that being said there is no "magical pregnancy glow routine" people.

Thu, August 22, 2013 @ 4:34 AM

26. Kim wrote:
I'm a trainer and an extremely healthy eater. I figured I would have one of those awesome pregnancies with hardly any weight gain/pain and everything else you mention. Fact is, I was so sick that finally I decided that whatever I could eat and keep down...I would. Sadly, that included fast food and ice cream (and I NEVER eat that crap either!), salad, fruit and chicken made me extremely ill. I had lots of pain and gained 15 lbs in just 12 weeks. To be upright even made me sick so why would I torture myself/the baby with exercise? For whatever reason my body wanted me to chill out. When I started feeling better, I started eating better and could only start to manage walking as my exercise due to early contractions. So, please don't assume you nailed the fit pregnancy thing. I'm happy you were successful to do so, I wish I could say the same, but truth is my body is different whether I like it or not.

Thu, September 12, 2013 @ 9:35 AM

27. Lauren wrote:
Thank you so much for saying that, Jaime! Authors like this come across as ignorant because they are at the same time health "experts" and yet have this idea that "if you just do what I did your body will be perfect like mine." Newsflash! Genetics and hormones play a humongous role in how a woman's body changes during pregnancy and how or whether it stays changed postpartum. Like Jaime, I'm an avid exerciser who eats very healthy, and at five months I have already gained ten pounds. With my son I gained 50 pounds in my pregnancy. There is no magic formula. I appreciate the author's suggestion the avoid the "eating for two" mentality, because it really can be detrimental, but the suggestion that if we all just follow in her footsteps we'll have the same pregnancy experience is really so ignorant.

Sat, October 19, 2013 @ 10:10 PM

28. Jennifer wrote:
Yes, it is true that every woman is different. This article was in no way meant to say that every woman will have a fairytale pregnancy, but merely provide tips that she found helpful. I had 3 "successful" pregnancies, and each one was different. I say successful because they did not present with immediate medical problems during gestation. My first went full-term, with me at age 15 & weighing 98 pounds pre-pregnancy, caused me to gain almost 100 pounds - I weighed 187 pounds at induction. He was 8 lbs 9 oz. The second was a pre-term at 32 weeks; I gained 8 pounds total, developed hypoglycemia, and had a 6 lb baby girl. My last was also pre-term beginning at 27 weeks & continuing until birth at 30 weeks; baby boy was 5 lbs 9.5 oz and very healthy. I only gained 12 pounds. I was very active during the first pregnancy; I found that because I was extremely large, stretching and light exercise was helpful in alleviating my discomfort. The other two, however, I was limited to bed rest & the only movement I was allowed to engage in was showering or going to the bathroom. I always ate healthy, took vitamins, etc. What works for one woman may not always work for another, but it helps to have tips from women who have been through it.

Wed, January 15, 2014 @ 3:44 AM

29. Tori wrote:
I do eat healthy and I am very active. I I alsotake a prenatal. Howevee I am pregnant with twins. I am nauseous and sick all day every day, I have horroble back painand round ligament pain and I am exhausted.... I have gained seven pounds and I am at twenty weeks....... and I didnt have resurves to begin with I had a flat tummy. You are implying that its the choice of a mother whether to have a good pregnancy or not, I got news for you pregnancy sucks. Glad you didnt jave a rough one but dont make us feel like we are below you bwcause we are having a rough time.

Sat, January 18, 2014 @ 5:50 PM

30. Dr. Maureen Muoneke MD wrote:
These are really useful tips , informative blog . Eat a variety of foods to get all the nutrients you need. Recommended daily servings include 6-11 servings of breads and grains, two to four servings of fruit, four or more servings of vegetables, four servings of dairy products, and three servings of protein sources (meat, poultry, fish, eggs or nuts). Use fats and sweets sparingly.

Thu, February 13, 2014 @ 5:08 AM

Add a New Comment

Enter the code you see below:
code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.

 
 

© 2014 Michelle Marie Fit . All rights reserved.
Powered by VEfusion

Pin It!